Thursday, February 18, 2010

Just another Sunday morning..but this weekend..SUCESS

Well this Sunday Brian and I had a breakthrough and I had to post about it. Probably not a story that anyone else cares much about but for my keepsake book I wanted to remember this weekend. It was our first Sunday of actually getting through an entire sermon...both of us...in forever!! Ya know, when Abgail was coming along we just didn't have this problem. She would hear the music and noise and just pass out at church. She always slept through at this age but not our Chloe! Chloe is still too young to put in church nursery. It's flu season and the baby room in the back is just too full of snotty noses and drool to put a wee one in there. Well mine anyway! I waited until the Bit was 6 or 7 mo before we braved it with her. So in the mean time Brian and I have been attempting to still make it to church even though when we've tried it Miss Chloe has been a little less then cooperative with trying to actually get anything out of it. Usually we just take turns slipping out with her screaming over our shoulder and making a scene then pacing in the lobby with her or I'll suck it up and head to the back to nurse her/bribe her to be quiet in hopes of actually getting to hear some of the sermon. But up until this week we have yet to hear a sermon in it's entirety. On Sunday we took our usual seat amongst the 'back row baby boomers' in our sanctuary. There's one row of chairs that line the back wall and on Sunday mornings it looks like a baby store w/ alternating a baby car seat then 2 adults ...baby car seat, two adults and so forth. The area is just littered with blankets, bags and gear in hopes of getting the little monsters through the service. Each parent has their own game plan and it's hilarious to watch us all put forth so much effort to try to get fed spiritually for the week. Back on that row it's funny because we all sympothize so much w/ one another and when there's a lull in the morning music we share random parenting thoughts sentaments and looks of piti when it's clear one of the little-ens isn't going to behave today. :) Brian and I squeezed into the last section of seating w/ a plan this week! I decided to try pumping prior to leaving for church. Chloe as usual was all peaches and cream during the morning music, wide eyed, happy and alert checking out the surrounding faces that gaze in on her as they walked by. But just as the music stops and things get serious, Chloe again decides she's bored. I didn't think it was possible for another daughter of mine to be such a talker but if possible I think she's actually more verbal then her sister! Chloe loves to compete w/ noise. She hears pastor talking and ..."ohh I want to comment on that". So she starts into her Rainman like verbage of "ennnnhhh....annnnhhh....ennnnhhhh" at increasing volume until Mommy gives in and gets her out of her seat to soothe her. But today...I came armed with a plan! I pulled a big bottle for her out of the bag and gave it to Brian. It was so sweet I might add to watch him feed her. I'm always doing it so I never get to watch him do this. We got to listen to the sermon uninterrupted as she got more and more relaxed in his lap, her arms out like limp tree limbs, eyes closed and only the noise of her sucking until she got to the bottom of the bottle. We looked at each other like "oh boy, we'll see if it's enough". I got the passy ready and just like Indiana Jones w/ that golden idol pass off we held our breath and intensly transitioned from bottle to pacifier w/o a hitch. Teamwork!!! We looked at each other again, big ole smiles across our faces ..."SUCESS!!" We both beamed w/ pride and accomplishment, did a quick smooch to congratulate one another and then leaned back and relaxed through the rest of the message. Which was a really good one by the way! Ya know, it's those little moments as parents. There are a million of them through the course of this journey of parenthood that we enjoy. Sometimes with sucess sometimes we laugh or cry at our failure but at least Brian and I ride it out together. Today I just wanted to remember as an example, today we did it!! :)

No comments: